Go Vote!

My site was nominated for Best Shopping Blog!

People Who Love Us

Support Me!

Grab Our Banner!


My Weekly Wish List

Get on it..

Get on it..
The Handmade Highway!

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Black Friday Bonanza - Bad Economy?


Is the economy to blame?

After such an amazing summer for The Little Black Box I was sure that the Black Friday event was going to knock 'em dead. The only thing dead around here was traffic and sales. People really aren't shopping. I spent sometime on the Etsy forums over the weekend and I even read the threads from people who were having amazing sales and they didn't get one sale either. It's so depressing. It's scary. Even more scary was that our July event had WAY more traffic and sales then this event and this event was advertised much better. I spent a bunch of money on banners and ad placement. I sent out 40 media boxes and I networked my little heart out but it seems like the economy got the best of me this year and I HATE feeling like I didn't do a good enough job for my businesses.

I watched the Etsy shops that participated and can see who did well and who didn't. I'm surprised! About 10 of the businesses who participated did very well, some got 1 or 2 sales and the rest didn't get one. I feel terrible because I treat each business I work with like they are my baby. I want success for them since this is the business I adore and love. I shout from the roof tops on a daily basis how much I love what I do.

I'm very happy for those that had a great Black Friday Bonanaza but I feel like I need to do something for those that didn't and I will.

Our Black Friday weekend isn't over quite yet. Run over and check it out if you haven't already. Make someone's day by supporting their shop! Tell your friends about the event if you purchased something already. Support Indie and all that it's worth!

11 comments:

bowlergrl1 said...

I had hoped to find a few gifts...but nothing really caught my eye. I guess I thought there would be more shops participating and it would be a much bigger thing. There were so many jewelry shops involved and I felt that was a little overkill. I don't have anyone on my list that doesn't already have a slew of jewelry, same with myself.

Patrice @ The Soap Seduction said...

I'm a participant in the Black Friday Bonanza, and my sales were next to nothing. I too promoted this event like crazy through my blog, my website, my newsletter, and all my Ning social networks, but the sales just aren't there. I just knew buying handmade would be the way to go, but I guess the mass retailers just have the money and the muscle to entice cash-strapped shoppers. I haven't given up hope. There are still a lot of shopping days left!

Karin Schueller said...

I KNOW that you worked your little fanny off...don't feel like it's your fault! I had about 2-3 sales, nothing crazy. They were all small items, but hey, that's the way it goes! I was hoping for big sales by now, but things are just slow. :( Noones fault, just the way it is! Thanks for working your fanny off!

Vanessa said...

Sorry sales have been so slow for everyone...even the malls were dead this year.

Jeweltrinkets said...

The economic crunch has touched everyone, in some way. Since the gas prices have lowered, I do plan on gift shopping once payday rolls around. I will keep all LBB contributors on the top of my list for purchases! Kim you did a great job, no worries!!!

casey12579 said...

I didn't get anything from the Black Friday Bonanaza but I did find something from DippyLuLu, from a past blog. So hopefully as Christmas nears these shops will have more sales. I know that I still have a couple of things to get so I'm hoping to find something handmade. Please keep up the blogging, you find the greatest stuff.

queenvanna said...

last year = 13 sales in last 10 days of november
this year = 18 sales for same time period.....

so i guess i'm doing ok.... it's just so hard to know what's going to entice someone to the computer and help them decide to make a purchase.

and today (monday) is supposed to be the biggest internet shopping day of the year? i listed 3 items more than 2 hours ago, and they are still at 0 views!!! talk about feeling unloved!! =)

Lindsay said...

I just wanted to let you know that I found your Black Friday page from a friend on Livejournal and I loved it. I found gifts for three people and an ornament for my holiday party ornament exchange (we always try to find unique ornaments and one made from a duck egg fits the bill!). I was really happy to be able to not only support handcrafters, but in the case of Michigan Egg Connection, I was able to support an artist in my own struggling home state.

I'm sorry that it wasn't as big as you were hoping, but I wanted to let you know that it was fantastic for me. I've bookmarked all the shops for later shopping (for me!). You definitely have made my Christmas! :)

Rasberryswrlgirl said...

There were quite a bit of things that I wanted. Unfortunately I can't afford to buy anything until this weekend. I think that the bauble bath offer of a free sampler with every order and 40% was amazing! And I wanted to cry that I couldn't buy anything. But I just couldn't spend the money at that time. I think that it's that way for a lot of people, and hopefully the etsy sellers involved will get sales between now and Christmas, even if they couldn't buy on black friday.

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Don't feel bad...you did all you could and that's all anyone can ask. I know from past experience that Black Friday and the weekend that follows tends to be pretty quiet online...at least it has for me...so don't take it personal! You are doing a great job with your site and with promoting lots of wonderful indie artists! We thank you for all your diligence.
Smiles, Karen

HandiCrafts said...

It was pretty slow for us too this weekend. I think the news of the "official" recession just shook some people a little hard, which is too bad because we've been living with it for a while already!