Go Vote!

My site was nominated for Best Shopping Blog!

People Who Love Us

Support Me!

Grab Our Banner!


My Weekly Wish List

Get on it..

Get on it..
The Handmade Highway!

Friday, September 5, 2008

Update

1st off thanks to everyone for the emails and comments about my post yesterday. I like to keep private matters private but this isn't exactly a private matter. This is national news and really really upsets me. You always think you are safe and sound in the comforts of your own home and then this happens. You see it on the news and think,

"Wow, that is horrible. Those poor families."

Then when it happens in your own backyard you are completely stunned and sadden. Chet was the father of my middle school and high school best friend. I moved away my Sophomore year but we were very very close. I spent many nights at their home and she spent many nights at my home. Her father was a very kind man. I'm still in such a shock because I can't imagine what they are going through. I'm not reaching out to her as I haven't talked to her in years and it's not the right thing for me to do now. They only just announced his name as one of the victims yesterday. He was the last to be confirmed. This literally happened 10 miles from my mothers home. She witnessed all the ambulances and police racing towards the location.

I think it's one of those things were you need to hug your family members. Give your child an extra kiss in the morning before school. Hold your mom a little tighter next time you see her and give your dad a few more pats on the back. Show your loved ones more appreciation because in the times we are living in you never know when you are going to see them next - if ever.

I know you guys come here to read about my Etsy finds and not about my sadness but I can't stress just how scary this has been for me. I couldn't even function yesterday and as my husband held me through my tears I knew that I needed to pick myself up this morning and try to make people more aware of mental illness and what it can do to destroy families - not only the families of the member with the illness but the families of the people who mentally ill people harm. Instead of shunning these people we need to help them. Instead of laughing and pointing at them we need to send aid and education so that things like this never happen again. I've learned such a valuable lesson from this and I hope you have listened.

3 comments:

blueviolet said...

It's such an important topic and as it seems to be occurring more and more frequently, I hope that awareness does indeed help create change and in turn, prevention of more horrible situations.

Quixotic said...

Your post really gave me some food for thought. Such a tragic event, and to have had a personal connection with one of the victims...well, I can't even begin to imagine.

KatieG said...

I agree that awareness is key, and something that we don't spend enough time promoting!