Go Vote!

My site was nominated for Best Shopping Blog!

People Who Love Us

Support Me!

Grab Our Banner!


My Weekly Wish List

Get on it..

Get on it..
The Handmade Highway!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Little Green Box

I'm feeling funky again today so I wanted to keep it simple and write about a promotion we are having in January for The Little Black Boxes.

Starr, at Starrlight Jewelry, first participated in our black boxes - errr bags, in July and she had asked about having Vegan bags. I had no idea what she was talking about but I knew that I couldn't limit bags to Vegan only items as everything was pre-packed and I had businesses already sending in everything. A few weeks later she mentioned again wanting a Vegan bag so this time I had to really try to figure out what in the world this poor girl was looking for! That's when Starr explained that she was Vegan and that there is a whole community on Etsy that are as well. They run their lifestyle and their shops following strict rules about what they will and will not surround themselves with. No honey, beeswax, milk of-any-kind, freshwater & salt water pearls, leather, silk, wool, shell, mother of pearl, horn, bone, feather, and baked goods made with bleached & confectional sugar. That's just the tip of the ice berg!

I think their list won't be too hard to follow and since "going green" is the new way of living as well we're going to tie the Green Movement together with the Vegan movement - I think they fit together pretty well. We're going to have an earth friendly/Vegan box in January and I hope everyone is really excited to see what we come up with. I'm going to make a large event out of it with some of the proceeds of the boxes going to an organization that supports the movements on behalf of the The Little Black Box and all the January participants.

This should be a ton of fun!

Edited to add: Thanks for all the emails about the January event. In order to participate in the boxes every single item first and foremost has to follow the Vegan lifestyle standards. On top of that we are going to also ask that the items are earth friendly. It can't be one or the other. I think they follow each other hand in hand basically. You do NOT have to be Vegan in order to be in the box or purchase a box. The item itself has to be Vegan AND Earth friendly. Hope I cleared up any confusion.

13 comments:

bowlergrl1 said...

What a great idea! I'm not vegan, but looking forward to seeing what you come up with for January's bags!

Rasberryswrlgirl said...

That's very exciting! I am vegetarian, not vegan, but I still try to live as close to vegan as I can.

auntsuesoldnewlovely said...

That sounds very interesting! Would be great to see what comes out of that, Little Black Box!!

fredcat said...

Green is good! It will interesting to see what you find to go into the bags.

KatieG said...

Even though I'm not vegan it's great idea!

Uniquegarden said...

Vegan is a whole market place unto itself. I was pleasantly surprised to find that all but 2 of my shop items are Vegan. Some of it can be a bit confusing for us non-Vegans when we are first learning, but once you understand it is easy to see. I have learned so much, even though I really could have done without understanding why they don't eat most sugars! lol

saucydiva said...

As a vegetarian, this thrills me.

Peggi said...

I think this is such a cool idea! It's nice to know that you support this whole movement, and I'm really looking forward to it! Thanks for thinking of us.

StarrlightJewelry said...

Hi Hun!

Thanks so much for blogging and getting the flow going. It is *so* wonderful of you to do these. There are many of the women (and men) on my team not only looking forward to submitting to the boxes but purchasing them as well. I am excited, Ill be able to get a few LBB of my own!

Vegan items are wonderful! As a woman with sensitive skin, & severe allergies I cannot express enough how easy-on-me vegan bath and body is!

Vegan cakes and cookies are no less sweet and yummy than the standard and often have fewer calories and less fat ;)

There are many benefits to Vegan products even if you are not a vegan!

blueviolet said...

Thank you so much for this. My daughter is vegan so please remind us when the vegan box comes out! Yay! I'm excited!

Apple Blossom Designs said...

i'm trying to incorporate more "green" in my life! i'll be sure to keep a look out as to what's going in that box!

jody said...

Yay for going ve-green!!! Did you know the number one cause of global warning is eating meat!!!! According to a 2007 United Nations report - Livestock Long Shadow, livestock farming causes far more greenhouse gases and pollution than all forms of transportation combined!!!

Choosing to not eat meat, even one day a week is equal to changing many many light bulbs. (Sorry I don't have the exact data but google for it and it is out there...)

Bottom line: the best way to help clean up the environment - go veg!!!

Vegans, those who choose kindness for all always are my heroes!!

... I do it for the animals!

artbysusmitha said...

So looking forward to creating things for this!! :)
Such a pity that you don't send boxes outside the US otherwise I'd have loved to buy some too.